Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How to make Stock

Ok, so I have had some people question how to make their own stock. Its so easy... first of all, I keep a stock bag in my freezer at all times... what this is, is a gallon sized freezer bag with STOCK written on it that I put all of my ends of celery, my bits of carrots, skins of onions, left over garlic, green pepper stems...pretty much anything veggie related that I was going to pitch!!! I just pop it in the freezer bag and save it for stock! Now, when I have a chicken or turkey...or anything like that, I take the meat off the bone and KEEP the carcass!

I roast the contents of my "stock bag" to bring out the flavors ( I heat my oven to 350, put everything on a baking sheet drizzle with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, I put my carcass in a large stock pot and cover with water. Once the veggies are done, I add them to my stock pot. Add seasonings and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat and simmer for many many hours (over night is good, I like to give it a good 24hours though for the best flavor) The goal is to get the bone marrow out of the bones.

Once it has simmered and all of the flavors are combined and wonderful, you should be left with a nice dark stock. Strain through a cheesecloth or very fine strainer. Let sit so the fat can rise and it can be easily separated.

Now Beef Stock is a little trickier...
You need to start out with some good sized beef BONES. Bake them at 450 for 30 minutes uncovered... then add your veggies and bake another 30 minutes... remove from the baking dish and be sure to scrap up all of the goodies on the bottom of the pan... now transfer all of that into a stock pot, fill with water, season and bring to a boil, once it comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for many many hours. Once again, I recommend overnight, but I would go as far as all day and all night! And why not, your house will smell WONDERFUL the whole time!!! Once it has simmered and all of the flavors are combined and wonderful, you should be left with a nice dark stock. Strain through a cheesecloth or very fine strainer. Let sit so the fat can rise and it can be easily separated.

All Stocks can be stored in the fridge for around a week, or can be frozen. I recommend freezing in ice cube trays to control portions!

No comments:

Post a Comment